Monday, May 09, 2005

C.Y.A.

C.Y.A. - also known as Cover Your Ass...

Why is it that whenever you start a new job - Everything about it is exciting? Everything about it has potential? They are paying you the right salary... They may take you out to lunch... If your not feeling well - Oh, well - stay home & here is MY remedy for that symptom... Blah - Blah - Blah...They dont mind when you come into work 5 minutes late - or back from lunch 5 minutes late... all until...
"We have a problem"
Well actually - its YOU who has the problem - because they have been keeping track of your bad habits - since DAY - 1 - taking notice - smiling in your face, saying that everything is alright - when its not...
Now let me pause here - because the purpose of this Blog is not to reveal anything that I have done wrong - but to observe what can possibly happen if I slip up. (or if YOU slip up)
I am glad that I work/worked as a flight attendant where being on time meant my job... Now I get to work on time... I am glad that when I worked at Smith Barney - that I had a difficult, high-maintance, sneaky, cold-heart boss... because it has taught me how to deal with those people when I HAVE to work with them...

Resume - Not only is this a man's world (thank you James Brown) - But its a WHITE man's world & every now and then - you may have "man" (BOSS) - thats gonna appreciate and respect diversity - especially when that diversity comes in the form of a Black Woman... (Im speaking specifically about me here... sorry) Then you may have a WOMAN - who has completly different motives - this is where it gets scary - this is why C.Y.A.'ing - should NEVER cease - because unlike me... Most women Bleed - every month - which means - you can be on their list - every month, at any given time... Keep yourself in check by wearing a pad or a tampon - soak up all the negativity & then trash it (repeat once a month - or whenever the symptoms returns...)

I think it is important to do your job well - because you can and will be replaced
I think it is important to expect as much of your boss (even co-workers) that they expect from you
I think it is important to build friendships - but dont get into the office politics - because next month all your business will be in the office newsletter
I think it is important to grow - and if you dont feel growth - dont stay in a job - just because your comfortable... No one benefited necessarily in a comfortable situation
I think it is important to be positive - even when people are trying to make your environment hostile...
I think it is important to take a lunch break - get away from your desk & breathe
I think it is important to work Smart - not Hard (Smurf... you always said that)
I think it is important to Love what you do
I think it is important to present yourself in a way - for people to take you seriously - because you want them to take you seriously
Lastly, If I havent already stated it in this blog - I think it is important to Cover Your Butt - write down what you do, what you have completed, who you spoke to, who held you up on this project (not making excuses), how fast you completed something, keep correspondence, in some cases - cc: a person, double check, ask questions and when people tell you what great job you did - tell them to tell you boss...

p.s. you may come to work everyday 5 mins early for a month - but the one day - you come in late by 10 -15 minutes - they remember that & forget everything else you have done... I guess its easier to remember the bad stuff...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Iam proud of you...you are really growing up.

5/09/2005  
Blogger Now I Know said...

to be real Sean, I needed that. My job is so flexible i need to make sure i do nothing to freak myself up.

5/09/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home